Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Am I sleeping on a volcano?

I came home Saturday afternoon and I turned on the TV. As I sat down I found myself watching the History Channel. The show that was on was called something along the lines of “MEGA DISASTERS”. I have seen this show before and all of the shows I have seen consist of inventions, ideas or machines that have gone terribly wrong. For example I recently saw an episode on the Hindenburg Air Ship, it explored the reasons why it burst into flames killing hundreds of people, who was to blame, why they thought that filling a giant balloon with flammable gas was a good idea... I think you can see how this show is not the most uplifting thing on television, but for some reason I still find myself watching it. So I curled up by the fire and started watching this show about peoples past failures. The “MEGA DISASTER” of the day was Mount Vesuvius. Which is odd because I thought the show was about man made stuff that went wrong, but I guess I was wrong. The narrator led me though the history of Mount Vesuvius and its many eruptions. I am guessing that most of you know about this place in Italy, but I didn’t know that much about it so here are some facts to bring you up to speed. Mount Vesuvius is the largest volcano in Italy, in fact it is one of only three in the area. It is located just east of Naples, Italy which is the capital and is home to over 3 million people. All of this is very interesting, but it really does not have much to do with why I am writting this blog. The real reason why I am writing this is something that the guest volcanologist said about Vesuvius’s last eruption. This eruption happened in 1944 and destroyed 4 villages surrounding Naples killing hundreds of people. He said that it had gone over 50 years without a big eruption, which means several generations had past. He was saying that whenever two or more generations pass without an eruption people start to get a “false sense of security”. Over the 50 years trees had grown over the top of the volcano, and people had forgotten how devastating it really was. They had even begun to grow fond of the beautiful cliffs that over looked the area.

A False Sense of Security.

When I was watching this I started to think, maybe this has happened to me. Maybe I am sleeping on a volcano. What would I do if I lost everything that I had, money, friends, loved ones... I should hate money and love God. I should love my friends and family, but love God more. I have grown very fond of all my stuff, not that stuff is wrong, but sometimes I wonder if I have forgotten what is important in life. God should be more then enough, and that is my prayer today, and forever.

I have plenty more to say on this subject, but this has gotten really long so I’m going to stop for now.

No comments: