Monday, March 10, 2008

Coldplay makes me sleepy...

Next time you have to move your clock an hour and lose sleep and have trouble getting up you can thank Mr. William Willet. In 1907 he proposed the idea of Daylight Savings Time based on the notion that we should not “waist the daylight”. This sounds great or whatever, but it sucks having to re-adjust. This is what good ol’ Wikipedia has to say about this, “The practice is controversial. Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but causes problems for farming, entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun” So I guess that pretty much sums up everything I want to say on the issue. But I would like to mention one more thing. William Willet is the great-great-grandfather of Coldplay’s lead singer Chris Martin. This really has nothing to do with me not liking to change my clocks, but it does answer the questions of why I have never really cared for Coldplay.... Thanks a lot Mr. Willet you ruined everything!!

2 comments:

Korey said...

so I thought that it was because of something to do with trains going cross country or something. Doing it for business and other stuff like that is even stupider cause there are just as many negative effects as positive. grrrrrrrrrr.....

Kristen Pickard said...

This makes me laugh! Interesting that you were curious/frustrated enough concerning the matter that you would research it. Thanks for the info.