Monday, March 3, 2008

Music

In first grade, I told people I liked alternative music; I didn't know what that meant. My neighbor asked me if I ever listened to Kiss FM, which in my mind was the bad radio station that the devil listened to. I said yes and he asked me what I heard when I listened to it. Realising he was testing me I panicked cause I was lying so I said I heard kissing noises. The truth was I listened to this christian radio station called K-LYT which was on 88.3. This radio station was the cool station for christian music, and I would listen to it quite a bit but I vaguely remember anything I listened to. Every once in a while a song comes on the radio and I know the words and I know that it came from all those hours of just listening to music. I remember listening to the radio and calling in to request songs so I could record them on a tape and listen to them on my Walkman. The only songs I really remember from these days are dc Talk's - Jesus Freak and Audio Adrenaline's - Big House. I'll call these my pre-music days. The days when I could listen to anything that came out of the radio and if someone said it was cool I listened to it. Later on my tastes got more discriminating and I began to buy CD's when they became the general format for music to come in. What follows is a list of CD's or music that impacted my life in some way:





1. Audio Adrenaline - Underdog


I knew Audio Adrenaline before this CD I even had their Some Kind of Zombie CD. But this CD was the first CD I ever bough myself and it stayed in my CD player for a year straight probably. I loved this CD because it was just rock and roll in my mind and every track was awesome, except for track 9. It Is Well With My Soul. . . anyway. The best track is probably the title track, Underdog. This song is about not being able to finish the race of life but God has taken our place and He has already finished the race for us. DC-10 is just good rock and roll and the House Plant Song might be one of the best "hidden tracks" ever recorded.





2. Five Iron Frenzy - Anthology

FIF was first herd by my ears some Wednesday night at church. It was great, from then on out it was on my brother's radio constantly. I listened to FIF a lot when I was younger went to a few shows and then I lost track of ska for a while... then when I heard that Five Iron was breaking up I rediscovered all of these songs all over again. One song that is amazing is Every New Day. This song is about understanding that we are so small and the day to day life would be such a drag if it were not for God making "every new day seem so new." There are many other songs by Five Iron that are amazing and they bring back so many memories and make me just wanna dance around. I love Ska, no other genre of music could talk about such deep topics and make you wanna dance around.

3. Relient K - Anthology

One day my brother called me into his room and made me listen to this song called Hello Mcfly on this CD sampler that he got somewhere. It was by a band named Relient K and I thought the song was pretty good. When their CD came out my brother bought it and I listened to it a couple times. For Christmas I asked for their second CD called The Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek this was when I started to really like RK and it has one of my favorite songs on it, Failure to Excommunicate. "Jesus loves the out casts, He loves the ones the world just loves to hate, and as long as there's a heaven there will be a failure to excommunicate." Awesome words. I remember from that point on I loved RK I remember getting super excited about their third CD and listening to it in my truck. I remember getting mmhmm their 4th CD and being awe struck. Relient K will always hold a special place in my heart and I can never forget the shows I've been too.

Other bands that have impacted me but aren't worth writing about include:
Air Five
Anberlin
Brave Saint Saturn
The Classic Crime
David Crowder* Band
The Eagles
Emery
Good Charlotte
Hawk Nelson
The Hippos
The Insyderz
Jars of Clay
MxPx
Reel Big Fish
Run Kid Run
Ruth
Sanctus Real
Skillet
The Supertones
Switchfoot
Thousand Foot Krutch
The W's
The Wedding
Yellowcard

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I agree with you on how much music affects our life. I look back at points in my life, and most of the time I have some song that represents that point in time. Either I think about the past and a song comes to mind, or I hear a song and a flood of memories fills my head. Relient K, Audio A, Five Iron all of them have really impacted my life. I think if I were to make a list the only band I would have to add is The O.C Supertones. Any band that cant strike back “Just like Leia's father” is tops in my books! Just kidding... I just remember listening to them over and over in my brother’s car. I think the song that really stuck out was So Great A Salvation in the last verse of the song he says,

“Oh, hold me in Your arms of love
Sometimes I swear I feel Your heartbeat,
I could never ever thank You enough,
But here's my life for what ever it's worth”

Even though I wasn’t quite sure what that looked like or even meant at the time, it stuck with me and made me want that in my life. I wanted to feel Gods heart beat, I still do. Anyway I just felt like I would pitch in my two cents worth in to the blog. Thanks for blogging Korey!